Wednesday 2 February 2011

Thoughts on the 3DS launch

So I caved in, and i've decided to put down a preorder for a 3DS at Shopto.net (currently the cheapest place to pre-order at £199.99).

I was mostly fixated on the cost before I preordered. The 3DS' actual RRP is £230, but in reality it seems to be going for around £200. That is higher than I, and I think most people, had anticipated it would be.

We in Britain always get royally screwed with currency conversions and the alike when it comes to technology. It costs a lot, lot less elsewhere in the world (although I think Australia tend to be worst off in this area).

In spite of the high price, I chose to preorder. Why?

Firstly, it dawned on me that the technology behind the 3DS is top-rate. It's argued it will be able to rival some current-generation titles in the graphics department - and you have to give it some leeway as it is rendering the image twice. And if we look at the current console generation, they all still cost around £200, because of slim models, etc. So the 3DS isn't really that excessively priced.

Secondly, I don't own a Wii (I used too but that's another story!). So as a gamer, i'm missing out on classic Nintendo gameplay - I'm thinking of Super Mario Galaxy 2, Smash Bros, and others atm. I'm also experiencing a big shortage of some key genre's on the 360 (my main gaming platform) - like platformers, adventure games, and RPG's. The 3DS will plug this gap.

Lastly, I'm a bit of an early-adopter with new technology. I bought a Kinect and Move as soon as they came out. I love trying out new innovations in gaming - and the 3DS is but another one.

As far as launch games go, I'm finding it fairly hard to find out exactly what the European games will be. Going off what Game says, they should (might) be the following:

  • Three 'different' Nintendogs and Cats (shocking) games - I'll pass on all three.
  • Super Street Fighter IV - Played the 360 version but couldn't get into it, not a fighter fan.
  • Pro Evo Soccer 3D - Intrigued by how this will pan out, might look into it thought typically i'm more of a FIFA Fan.
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars - I was shocked to find out it is in fact a strategy game?! I enjoyed Metal Gear Acid though so i'm keeping my eye on this.
  • Super Monkey Ball 3D - Always enjoyed the series, good fun. If it's got a compelling online mode I might buy it.
  • Asphalt 3D - Eh.
  • Rayman 3D - Will it be anything new? Or just Rayman in...3D.
  • Dead or Alive 3D - See SSFIV ^

I'm anticipating Pilot Wings (N64 game was AWESOME) and Splinter Cell predominantely. And from what I can gather they're both coming out within the 'launch window', so within a month or so after March (I think).

Looking forward to it all anyway. I have had a DS and PSP in the past but was never a huge portable gamer - I think this will change once the 3DS is released.

No comments:

Post a Comment